“No,” she said, “Let’s try something different, you like pictures and words. Let’s see what you think.”
What is it? Mind mapping is a way to show your ideas and concepts with pictures and words. The structure is based on not only your ideas and concepts but your values. It gives you a visual way to think, analyze and comprehend your ideas. It will also help you generate new ideas. Why is it so powerful? It’ simple.
Mind mapping is not like traditional note taking or text. From what I read it more closely resembles how your brain actually works. It’s attraction is that it is both thought provoking and artistic. You get to draw pictures as you map out your plans. It’s actually fun. It looks messy but don’t we think that way? This will allow you to use both language and pictures to express your goals and ideas.
You can actually take notes using mind mapping; this is an interesting way to work with your employees (you will get a much better idea of how they think and what motivates them to come to work.)
Consider a new way to plan for your business.
- Train your employees to set goals based on their values and motivations.
- Problem solve with words and pictures.
- Gain insight into complex problems; a picture is worth a thousand words.
- Get your creativity moving and have some fun.
- Think about your personal life also, wouldn’t this be a fun exercise with your family and your loved ones?
How do you begin?
- First you need a big piece of paper, cardboard is best because it has stability.
- Get crayons, magic markers or paints if you want to get fancy. Magic markers are easier to work with.
- Start with your ideas, what do you want to develop? Check out the layout of your paper before you begin; it is suggested that you use the landscape orientation.
- Start with your central topic and create subtopics; connect to each one of them to the center with a line.
- Keep adding subtopic and connecting; don’t forget to use your colors and pictures if you choose. Try to be as visual as possible. Don’t worry about drawing skills, you will be surprised at the talent in your group.
- Make your notes short, a single word if possible this will make it more effective.
- Change letter sizes, fonts and how everything is aligned. Remember we are creating a way for the mind to remember your thoughts.
- I know this is just a start but if you want more you can research it online.
- Have fun.